Monday, August 21, 2023

Last Act

It's a one man show with a cast of thousands
And I'm on center stage
But I'm also waiting in the wings
And in the back, learning page after page

These many roles I play for you
The director's desires are clear
But there are too many lines to memorize
And I've forgotten what you want to hear

The characters are blending all into one
Into the person I used to call "me"
And though I'm fading, I'm still your star
So here's my soliloquy:

Each time I try to spare your feelings 
I only hurt you more
And each time I try to be everything
I wind up less than before
So here I am trying and here I am lying
To be what you think I might
But will I still be your prodigy
When the lights dim on closing night?

The show is over, I take my bows
To no applause at all
Not a soul sits in the theater's darkness
As the curtain slowly falls

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home